Laugharne castle, a fine example of a Norman fortification, probably founded in the early 12th century as a earth and timber fortification, though as it now stands dates from the mid to late 13th century. The castle was later adapted to provide stylish living accomodation. In the 13th and 14th centuries it was the home of the de Brian family. Much of the castle survives with it's two large towers, and gatehouse. The transformation of the castle into living accomodation was by Sir John Perrot, who was granted Laugharne by Elizabeth 1 in 1584. The castle saw action during the Civil War, after which it declined into a ruin.